Where: Gunma, Japan (36.3° N, 139.0° E: paleocoordinates 37.6° N, 137.4° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Itahana Formation (Tomioka Group), Tortonian to Tortonian (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• These beds are situated about 10 m above those of Loc. I.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; poorly lithified, sandy sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original carbon
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• Carya is most predominant in number of specimens, followed by Ulmus protojaponica, Carpinus miocenica, Halesia sp., Carpolithes japonicus, and Pterocarya protostenopteris. No species of evergreen broad leaved trees are found. Siltstone in the upper cyclothem yields poor fossils in three horixons, comprising only "Ficus" and Gramineae.
Primary reference: K. Ozaki. 1991. Late Miocene and Pliocene Floras in Central Honshu, Japan. Bulletin of Kanagawa Prefectural Museam Natural Science Special Issue 1-244 [H. Sims/H. Lindon/H. Lindon] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 21265: authorized by Hallie Sims, entered by Heather Lindon on 24.06.2002