Also known as TKRS 7
Where: Okinawa, Japan (26.4° N, 128.0° E: paleocoordinates 26.7° N, 127.4° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Chinen Sand Member, Early/Lower Pliocene (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• Lower sand units were formely included in the Shimajiri beds, but they are disconformable with the underlying Shimajiri Formation. The lower sandy and silty part of the Ryukyu Group is divided into two elements, the Nakoshi Sand and the Chinen Sand. Presumably the two members are equivalent in age, but they are laterally not related. The Chinen sand is light gray to dark gray and more uniformely fine than the Nakoshi, and can have fine silt partings.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified, fine-grained, gray, silty sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collections held in USNM and UGSG repositories.
Primary reference: F. S. MacNeil. 1960. Tertiary and Quaternary Gastropoda of Okinawa: A comparison of the late Miocene, Pliocene, and Pleistocene Gastropoda of Okinawa with related faunas of East Asia together with a resume of the geological setting of the fossiliferous deposits. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 339 (339)1-148 [A. Miller/C. Ferguson/C. Ferguson] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 42238: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 26.07.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)