Also known as ST 660 890, ST 660890
Where: England, United Kingdom (51.6° N, 2.4° W: paleocoordinates 36.8° N, 0.8° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Rhaetian (205.6 - 201.6 Ma)
• Rhaetian age is based upon "non-reworked" palynomorphs and the lithology, both of which indicate age equivalence to the Late Westbury Formation (Lower Rhaetian), Penarth Group, of Whiteside (1983) and Whiteside and Marshall (1986). Tytherington fissure fills are not necessarily contemporaneous (Fraser 1994).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fissure fill; limestone and limestone
Size class: microfossils
Collection methods: bulk, chemical, sieve,
• University of Bristol, Geology Department. The Fissure 2 site has been destroyed by quarrying, but uprepared blocks containing fossils are retained in the collections at Bristol. Greater than 1000 specimens.
Primary reference: D. I. Whiteside. 1986. The head skeleton of the Rhaetian sphenodontid Diphydontosaurus avonis gen. et sp. nov. and the modernizing of a living fossil. Philisophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 312:379-430 [R. Whatley/R. Whatley/R. Whatley] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 46889: authorized by Robin Whatley, entered by Robin Whatley on 25.01.2005, edited by Matt Carrano