Also known as Dinosaur Hill, PFV 40, Fossil Cove, Bolt Quarry, FMNH 83-3, PEFO 85119
Where: Apache County, Arizona (35.0° N, 109.8° W: paleocoordinates 11.3° N, 48.3° W)
• coordinate based on unpublished field data
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Petrified Forest Member (Chinle Formation), Norian (221.5 - 205.6 Ma)
• "Upper Petrified Forest Formation"; now known as the Petrified Forest Member (Woody 2003) or the Painted Desert Member of the Petrified Forest Formation (Heckert & Lucas 2002).
•5-8 m above Painted Desert Sandstone 1.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: "floodplain"; mudstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collected by A. & R. Preston in 1982; reposited in the FMNH, UCMP
Collection methods: quarrying, surface (float), surface (in situ), mechanical,
• discovered by Ann & Robert Preston
Primary reference: K. Padian. 1986. On the type material of Coelophysis Cope (Saurischia: Theropoda) and a new specimen from the Petrified Forest of Arizona (Late Triassic: Chinle Formation). In K. Padian (ed.), The Beginning of the Age of Dinosaurs: Faunal Change Across the Triassic–Jurassic Boundary. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 45-60 [M. Carrano/M. Carrano/M. Carrano] more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 49500: authorized by Matt Carrano, entered by Matt Carrano on 18.04.2005, edited by Richard Butler