Where: Kern County, California (35.1° N, 119.2° W: paleocoordinates 34.1° N, 108.2° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: San Emigdio Formation, Priabonian (37.2 - 33.9 Ma)
• From upper 9 m of fossiliferous section below yellow sandstone, near base of San Emigdio Formation. The San Emigdio Formation conformably overlies the Tejon Formation, and is in turn overlain by the Pleito Formation. The San Emigdio Formation has a Late Eocene=refugian age=Priabonian.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: transition zone or lower shoreface; lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USGS
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by T.H. Nilson and W.O. Addicott. Collections likely to be reposited at USGS Menlo Park or USNM (not specified).
Primary reference: T. H. Nilsen. 1987. Stratigraphy and sedimentology of the Eocene Tejon Formation, western Techachapi and San Emigdio Mountains, California. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 1268:1-110 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 52799: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 21.08.2005
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)