Also known as Barosaurus type, SDSM V9140
Where: Meade County, South Dakota (44.2° N, 103.4° W: paleocoordinates 39.4° N, 49.2° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Morrison Formation, Kimmeridgian to Kimmeridgian (155.7 - 145.5 Ma)
• Several meters above the Unkpapa Sandston Member; Zone 5; Morrison of S. Dakota sometimes referred to as the "Beulah shales"
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: wet floodplain; ferruginous, black, gray, green, silty, calcareous claystone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collected by E. R. Ellerman, O. C. Marsh, J. B. Hatcher, G. R. Wieland in 1889, 1898; reposited in the YPM
Collection methods: quarrying, surface (in situ), mechanical,
• collected by Marsh & Hatcher, 1889; Wieland 1898. Discovered from E. R. Ellerman on land belonging to Rachel Hatch.
Primary reference: O. C. Marsh. 1890. Description of new dinosaurian reptiles. The American Journal of Science, series 3 39:81-86 [M. Carrano/M. Carrano/M. Carrano] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 57905: authorized by Matt Carrano, entered by Kaitlin Maguire on 05.01.2006