Also known as USGS #8439
Where: Panama (8.9° N, 81.7° W: paleocoordinates 8.7° N, 80.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Chagres Sandstone Formation, Messinian (7.2 - 5.3 Ma)
• Chagres Sandstone overlies and partly overlaps the Gatun Fm. Calcareous strata at the base of the formation throughout most of the outcrop area in the Canal Zone constitutes the Toro Limestone Mbr. The Chagres Sandstone is as much as 1000 ft thick. AGE: Late Miocene (late Tortonian-Messinian) according to Collins and Coates 1999); direct date is midpoint for established age range from microfossil biostratigraphy.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, fine-grained sandstone and poorly lithified siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the CAS, PRI, USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collected by A.A. Olsson and G.M. Bevier (1918). Material is also held (but not specified for any specific collection) at Stanford University, Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil., Cornell University, PRI, U. Cal. and Cal. Acad. Sci.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 60695: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 20.05.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)