Also known as NMB Loc. 17851
Where: Bocas del Toro, Panama (9.0° N, 81.7° W: paleocoordinates 9.3° N, 81.3° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Shark Hole Point Formation (Bocas del Toro Group), Piacenzian (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: the Shark Hole Point Fm conformably overlies the Nancy Point Fm and is overlain by an unnamed sequence of volcaniclastics. BIOSTRATIGRAPHY: from Collins et al. (1999), an age range of 5.3-3.5 Ma, Early Pliocene; direct date from Cheetham et al. (1999).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, bioturbated, micaceous, shelly/skeletal, argillaceous siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Jung et al. in 1988; reposited in the NMB
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTORS: Peter Jung, D. Geary & L. Anderson, 5.6.1988. REPOSITORIES: Naturhistorisches Museum Basel (NMB).
Primary reference: L. S. Collins and A. G. Coates. 1999. A paleobiotic survey of Caribbean faunas from the Neogene of the Isthmus of Panama. Bulletins of American Paleontology (357) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 61344: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 05.06.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)