Where: Greenland (73.5° N, 24.7° W: paleocoordinates 31.2° S, 49.5° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Ella Island Formation, Dyeran (516.0 - 513.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From Ella Island Fm, which overlies the Bastion Fm and in turn the Kl°ftelv Fm (lower Cambrian) and is overlain by the Hyolithus Creek Fm (lower-middle Cambrian) and Dolomite Point Fm (middle Cambrian). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within the Ella Island Fm. AGE: Well constrained to the late Early Cambrian (Dyeran Age or Bonnia-Olenellus Chron; see Palmer 1998) by the presence of Olenellid trilobites (Poulson 1932, Cowie and Adams 1957) and baltisphaerid acritarchs (Vidal 1979). THICKNESS: Thickness of formation at the Albert Heim section is 80-100 m.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; lithified limestone and calcareous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression, original calcite, original phosphate, replaced with phosphate
Collection methods: bulk, chemical, acetic, sieve,
• COLLECTOR: Collected by S. Peel and M.P. Smith (1988), and earlier collectors. PREPARATION: Rock samples were dissolve in buffered 10 percent acetic acid to retrieve acid-resistent microfossils. The resulting residues were sieved and the heavy mineral fraction separated using sodium polytungstate. REPOSITORY: All specimens are housed in the Geological Museum in Copenhagen (MGUH).
Primary reference: C. B. Skovsted. 2006. Small shelly fauna from the upper Lower Cambrian Bastion and Ella Island Formations, North-East Greenland. Journal of Paleontology 80(6):1087-1112 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 67792: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 09.12.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)