Where: Japan (33.2° N, 129.7° E: paleocoordinates 35.5° N, 127.4° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Masaru Member (Ainoura Formation), Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From "Masaru fossil bed" of the upper Ainoura Fm, Sasebo Group, which conformably overlies the Late Oligocene Nishisonogi Fm, and unconformably underlying the Tsukumojima Fm. THICKNESS: From bed within formation of group that attains a thickness of 1300 m. AGE: Early Miocene, based on molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: estuary or bay; lithified, fine-grained, medium sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: surface (float),
• COLLECTOR: A. Mizuno (c. 1964). REPOSITORY: Not stated in text, unknown.
Primary reference: A. Mizuno. 1964. Paleogene and Early Neogene molluscan faunae in West Japan. Geological Survey of Japan Report 204 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 70871: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 10.04.2007
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)