Where: Japan (32.4° N, 130.2° E: paleocoordinates 39.7° N, 124.1° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Shiratake Formation, Middle Eocene (48.6 - 37.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From Shiratake Fm, which conformably overlies the ?Early-Middle Eocene Akasaki Fm (and in places unconformably overlies Cretaceous sediments), and is conformably overlain by the Kyoragi Fm (Middle Eocene). THICKNESS: From bed within formation of group that attains a thickness of 100 m. AGE: Middle Eocene, based on molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified, silty sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: surface (float),
• COLLECTOR: Nagao (c. 1928). REPOSITORY: Not stated in text, unknown.
Primary reference: A. Mizuno. 1964. Paleogene and Early Neogene molluscan faunae in West Japan. Geological Survey of Japan Report 204 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 71015: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 14.04.2007
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)