Where: Orange County, California (33.8° N, 117.9° W: paleocoordinates 32.8° N, 111.7° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Vaqueros Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Vaqueros Fm, which unconformably overlies the Eocene Tempetate/Martinez Fm, and is overlain by the Temblor Fm (Middle Miocene). THICKNESS: From bed within unit which locally reaches 500 ft in thickness. AGE: Early Miocene on the basis of molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From the Turritella inezana zone in the part of the Vaqueros Fm, zone is the same as UC-6128.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, silty sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the UCMP
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: W. H. Corey, C. D. Meserve, R. E. Dickerson, and W. S. W. Kew (c. late 1910-20's). REPOSITORY: University of California, Berkeley (UCNMP).
Primary reference: W. Loel and W. H. Corey. 1932. The Vaqueros Formation, Lower Miocene of California (Part 1). University of California Publications, Bulletin of the Department of Geological Sciences 22(3):31-410 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 71230: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 21.04.2007
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)