Where: Pakistan (25.2° N, 62.1° E: paleocoordinates 23.2° N, 60.6° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Mekran Formation, Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: Overlies the Gaj beds. AGE: Somewhat unclear. Younger than Early Miocene Gaj beds (Aquitanian-Burdigalian), and younger than the Gwadar beds (Pliocene), so probably ranging from Middle to Late Miocene in age. Age will be amended following consideration of taxonomic similarities with Indonesian faunas. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Unknown position within Mekran beds.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Vredenburg
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: Multiple collectors including W. Blanford, Wynne, Hira Lal, Ram Singh, and Noetling (staff of Geological Survey of India) during the early 1900's. REPOSITORY: Geological Survey of India, with voucher specimens possibly at the BMNH.
Primary reference: E. Vredenburg. 1925. Description of Mollusca from the post-Eocene Tertiary formation of north-western India: Cephalopoda, Opisthobranchiata, Siphonostomata. Memoirs of the Geological Survey of India 50(1):1-350 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 77135: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 21.12.2007
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)