Where: Peru (14.2° S, 76.1° W: paleocoordinates 16.6° S, 91.7° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Chilcatay Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Chilcatay Fm, which regionally, unconformably overlies the Otuma Fm (Oligocene) and is unconformably overlain by the Pisco Fm (Middle Miocene-Late Pliocene). AGE: latest Oligocene-early Middle Miocene, for which justification is not stated. Overlain by the Prisco Fm, for which K/Ar dates, siliceous microfossil zonation, and molluscan biostratigraphy supports a Middle Miocene age at its oldest. The collection is placed by the authors within the Early Miocene. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown part of formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collected by DeVries; reposited in the UWBM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: DeVries. REPOSITORY: UWMB, Washington.
Primary reference: T. J. DeVries. 2007. The Cenozoic Tegulinae (Gastropoda: Trochidae) from southern Peru. The Nautilus 121(4):163-181 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 80540: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 22.04.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)