Where: Butte County, California (39.7° N, 121.9° W: paleocoordinates 45.0° N, 86.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Chico Formation, Santonian (85.8 - 83.5 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Chico Fm, for which no lithostratigraphic relationships are discussed. AGE: Santonian in text; on the basis of ammonite biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Sandstone layer cropping out about 100 ft below lava-Cretaceous contact; lower part of Chico Fm.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Popenoe & Scharf in 1931
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Popenoe and Scharf, 1931. REPOSITORY: California Institute of Technology (at the time).
Primary reference: T. Matsumoto. 1960. Upper Cretaceous ammonites of California. Part III. Memoirs of the Faculty of Science, Kyushu University Series D, Geology, Special Volume II 1-204 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 86781: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 17.02.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)