Where: Moffat County, Wyoming (40.8° N, 108.9° W: paleocoordinates 45.8° N, 74.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Mancos Shale Formation, Santonian (85.8 - 83.5 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Mancos Fm, which overlies the Dakota Sandstone, and is overlain by the Iles Fm of the Mesaverde Group. AGE: Albian-Coniacian for entire formation. Here assigned to Santonian on the basis of ammonoid and bivalve biostratigraphy (by enterer). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From top of Vermilion Creek section, at 3861 ft above base of section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, medium-grained sandstone and lithified, gray shale
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Reeside; reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: J. B. Reeside. REPOSITORY: Presumably USNM of USGS.
Primary reference: J. B. Reeside. 1955. Revised interpretation of the Cretaceous section on Vermilion Creek, Moffat County, Colorado. Wyoming Geological Association Guidebook - 1955 85-88 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 87783: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 24.03.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)