Where: Panama (9.3° N, 79.9° W: paleocoordinates 9.0° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: upper Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• Upper part of the Gatun Formation. The Gatun Formation is sibdivided into three faunal zones (proposed by Thomson and Keen, 1946): lower, middle, and upper. AGE: Late Miocene, on the basis of microfossil biostratigraphy (see Collins and Coates, 1999), refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 9.5 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, fine-grained, silty sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Not stated in text. REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1973. Geology and paleontology of canal zone and adjoing parts of Panama: Description of Tertiary mollusks (additions to gastropods, scaphopods, pelecypods: Nuculidae to Malleidae). United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(E):453-539 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 93057: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 24.12.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)