Where: Italy (40.2° N, 18.5° E: paleocoordinates 39.1° N, 17.5° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Pietra Leccese Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Pietra Leccese Fm, which overlies the Andrano Fm, and is presumably unconformably overlain by the Uggiano la Chiesa Fm (Middle Pliocene). AGE: Upper Burgidalian to lower Messinian, on the basis of macrofossil biostratigraphy; placed by enterer in Early Miocene on the basis of stratigraphic position. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From the basal conglomerate of the Pietra Lecesse Fm.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, phosphatic conglomerate
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: mold/impression, replaced with phosphate
Collected by Ragaini
• COLLECTOR: Not stated, but presumably L. Ragaini. REPOSITORY: Not stated, but presumably the Natural History Museum, University of Pisa.
Primary reference: L. Ragaini. 1994. Neogene echinoids from Salento (Apulia, Southern Italy). Bollettino della Societa Paleontologica Italiana 287-290 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 96231: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 29.05.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)