Also known as Fayum "upper sequence"
Where: Fayum, Egypt (29.5° N, 30.6° E: paleocoordinates 26.1° N, 27.3° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Jebel Qatrani Formation, Rupelian (33.9 - 28.4 Ma)
• Quarry I is in the "upper sequence" (there are two general fossil producing levels in the Jebel Qatrani, the "upper" and the "lower" sequences).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial; sandstone and mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected in 1962, 1989
Collection methods: quarrying,
• discovered in 1962 by a Yale expedition
Primary reference: E. L. Simons. 1965. New fossil apes from Egypt and the initial differentiation of Hominoidea. Nature 205:135-139 [J. Alroy/J. Alroy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 12954: authorized by John Alroy, entered by Robin Whatley on 12.01.2002, edited by Jill Wertheim, John Alroy and Mark Uhen
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)