Where: Gunma, Japan (36.3° N, 139.0° E: paleocoordinates 37.6° N, 137.4° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Itahana Formation (Tomioka Group), Tortonian to Tortonian (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• Siltstone of the outcrop represents the uppermost part of the upper member, and is covered by basal conglomerate of the Akima Formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: replaced with carbon
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• Of 14 species identified, 3 occupy more than 90% of the total specimens: "Ficus" about 60%, Alnus 21% and Salix misaotatewakii 10%. No species of evergreen broad-leaved trees are found.
Primary reference: K. Ozaki. 1991. Late Miocene and Pliocene Floras in Central Honshu, Japan. Bulletin of Kanagawa Prefectural Museam Natural Science Special Issue 1-244 [H. Sims/H. Lindon/H. Lindon] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 21270: authorized by Hallie Sims, entered by Heather Lindon on 24.06.2002