Where: Clarke County, Alabama (31.5° N, 87.9° W: paleocoordinates 32.1° N, 79.3° W)
• coordinate based on political unit
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Gosport Sand Formation (Claiborne Group), Bartonian (40.4 - 37.2 Ma)
• "At each site, the horizon sampled was in the lower third of the exposure, approx. 2m above the base of the formation, but stratigraphic equivalence is undetermined."
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified, glauconitic, shelly/skeletal, calcareous sandstone and shale
Size class: mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, mechanical, sieve,
• "Numbers of specimens reflect number of identifiable gastropod apices and total number of bivalve umbos; unidentifiable fragments were not counted."
Primary reference: E. A. CoBabe and W. D. Allmon. 1994. Effects of sampling on paleoecologic and taphonomic analyses in high-diversity fossil accumulations: an example from the Eocene Gosport Sand, Alabama . Lethaia 27:167-178 [A. Miller/K. Layou] more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 5316: authorized by Arnold Miller, entered by Karen Layou on 22.09.1999