Also known as USGS# 8371
Where: Panama (9.6° N, 79.6° W: paleocoordinates 9.4° N, 78.7° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Toros Limestone Member (Chagres Sandstone Formation), Messinian (7.2 - 5.3 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From Olsson's Anomia zone. Chagres Sandstone overlies and partly overlaps the Gatun Fm. Calcareous strata at the abse of the formation throughout most of the outcrop area in the Canal Zone constitute the Toro Limestone Mbr. The unit is as much as 1000 ft thick. AGE: Late Miocene (late Tortonian-Messinian) according to Collins and Coates 1999); Messinian age more probable.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; poorly lithified, medium-grained, coarse, shelly/skeletal, sandy limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the CAS, PRI, USNM
Collection methods: quarrying,
• COLLECTOR: E.R. Lloyd and G.M. Bevier (1918). RESPOSITORIES: Material is also held (but not specified for any specific collection) at Stanford University, Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil., Cornell University, PRI, U. Cal. and Cal. Acad. Sci.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1957. Geology and Paleontology of Canal Zone and adjoining parts of Panama. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(A) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 61180: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 30.05.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)