Also known as 695.0-695.15 ft
Where: Hampton County, Virginia (37.1° N, 76.4° W: paleocoordinates 36.8° N, 68.1° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Chickahominy Formation, Late/Upper Eocene (37.2 - 33.9 Ma)
• SOURCE: collecton from 211.84-211.88 m (695.0-695.15 ft) in core. GENERAL STRATIGRAPHY: The base of the Chickahominy Fm in the Langley core represents the begining of in-place postimpact deposition. This contact is placed at a depth of 235.65 m (773.12 ft) in the core, where massive, calcareous, marine silty clay bearing in-place microfossils overlies horizonatlly laminated quartz-glauconite silt bearing mixed and altered microfossil assemblages. The Chickahominy Fm is a thick section of calcareous clay representing Late Eocene depositon. STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: The Chickahominy Fm is overlain by a shallower marine unit, informally termed the Drummonds Corner beds of Early Oligocene age. BIOSTRATIGRAPHY: NP 19/20 abd NP 21 calcareous nannofossil zones and P15-P17 planktonic foram zones.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; lithified, silty, calcareous claystone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
• SOURCE: occurrences of large recognizable species and any molluscan remains were noted. Fossiliferous samples were collected at selected intervals for precessing and further examination. Samples were washed, the fraction >850 um was retained, and molluscan fauna specimens recovered were sorted and identified. Generic assignments for extant groups were updated on the basis of Turgeon et al. (1998). COLLECTORS: Collected by NASA-USGS. REPOSITORIES: presumably reposited in USGS and USNM collections.
Primary reference: L.E. Edwards, J. A. Barron, D. Bukry, L.M. Bybell, T.M. Cronin, C.W. Poag, R.E. Weems and G.L. Wingard. 2005. Paleontology of the Upper Eocene to Quaternary Postimpact Section in the USGS-NASA Langley Core, Hampton Virginia. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 1688:1-71 [A. Miller/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 61280: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 04.06.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)