Where: South Africa (27.2° S, 32.2° E: paleocoordinates 46.0° S, 3.1° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Makatini Formation, Early/Lower Aptian (125.5 - 122.5 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Makatini Fm, which is regionally overlain by the Mzinene Fm. THICKNESS: From a 30 cm bed within ~30 m section. AGE: Aptian I based on ammonite biostratigraphy (Procheloniceras? and Tropaeum zone). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From concretionary bed immediately below the top of the gully.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, concretionary, shelly/skeletal siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the BMNH
• COLLECTORS: Collected by authors (W. Kennedy and H. Klinger) during 1970-1971. REPOSITORY: BMNH.
Primary reference: W. J. Kennedy and H.C. Klinger. 1975. Cretaceous faunas from Zululand and Natal, South Africa. Introduction, Stratigraphy. Bulletin of the British Museum of Natural History 25(4):265-315 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 65844: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 25.09.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)