Where: Peru (15.3° S, 75.5° W: paleocoordinates 17.7° S, 91.3° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Caballas Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC DATA: From the Caballas Formation, which unconformably overlies the Paracas Fm and is unconformably overlain by the Pisco Fm. AGE: Latest Oligocene-Early Miocene. Collection appears to be Early Oligocene on the basis of stratigraphic position. STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From near top of formation, a short distance below unconformity with the Pisco Fm.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithified sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: Not stated, but possibly include T. DeVries. REPOSITORY: Not stated in text.
Primary reference: J. Machare, T. DeVries, and E. Fourtanier. 1988. Oligo-Miocene transgression along the Pacifie margin of South America: new paleontological and geological evidence from the Pisco basin (Peru). Géodyynamique 3(1-2):25-37 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 80493: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 21.04.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)