Also known as Locality 14a
Where: Orange County, California (33.8° N, 117.7° W: paleocoordinates 35.0° N, 81.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Holz Shale Member (Ladd Formation), Turonian (93.5 - 89.3 Ma)
• from "about 1 m of strata"
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: interdistributary bay; lithified siltstone and lithified shale
•the Holz Shale in general is "in a shallow marine setting, including prodelta, lagoonal and bay environments"
•apparently well lithified because strata were "broken" and "disarticulated" during collection
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (in situ),
• "Bulk samples were collected... and brought back to the lab for disarticulation" but there was also "selective collecting, by breaking the strata at the site"
•collections apparently are at the California State University at Fullerton
Primary reference: F. A. Sundberg. 1980. Late Cretaceous paleoecology of the Holz Shale, Orange County, California. Journal of Paleontology 54(4):840-857 [J. Alroy/J. Alroy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 80936: authorized by John Alroy, entered by John Alroy on 21.05.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)