Where: New Mexico (36.4° N, 104.6° W: paleocoordinates 40.6° N, 72.1° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Clioscaphites vermiformis ammonoid zone, Smoky Hill Shale Member (Niobrara Formation), Middle Santonian (85.8 - 83.5 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Lower Shale of the Smokey Hill Shale, Niobrara Fm, which regionally overlies the Carlisle Shale . AGE: Santonian, on the basis of inoceramid and ammonite biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: List representative of the lower part of the upper shale unit of the Smoky Hill Shale.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: deep subtidal shelf; lithified shale
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Reposited in the UNSM
Collection methods: surface (in situ), ,
• COLLECTORS: Scott, Cobban, Merewether, and Buckhorn (1984). REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: G. R. Scott, W. A. Cobban, and E. A. Merewether. 1986. Stratigraphy of the Upper Cretaceous Niobrara Formation in the Raton basin, New Mexico. New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources Bulletin 115:1-34 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 87849: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 26.03.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)