Where: Cajamarca, Peru (6.9° S, 78.2° W: paleocoordinates 11.8° S, 55.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Celendín Formation, Coniacian (89.3 - 85.8 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Celendín Fm, which locally overlies the Cajamarca Fm (Turonian). AGE: Coniacian, on the basis of ammonite biostratigraphy; Buchiceras bilobatum zone. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Collection from unit 69, a 86 m thick shale unit, near top of section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, gray, yellow, blue, calcareous shale
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Benavides; reposited in the AMNH
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: V. E. Benavides. REPOSITORY: AMNH.
Primary reference: V.E. Benavides-Caceres. 1956. Cretaceous system in northern Peru. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 108(4):1-493 [A. Miller/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 88155: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 02.04.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)