Also known as USGS 25281
Where: Panama (9.3° N, 79.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.1° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: lower Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• Same stratigraphic position as previous collection (52173). Lower part of the Gatun Formation. The Gatun Formation is subdivided into three faunal zones (proposed by Thomson and Keen, 1946): lower, middle, and upper. AGE: Late Miocene, on the basis of microfossil biostratigraphy (see Collins and Coates, 1999), refined by enterer to Tortonian based on more recent dating (Hendy, 2012). Sr dating for nearby sections indicates an age of approximately 11.1 Ma (Hendy, unpublished data).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified, fine-grained, silty sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: R.H. Stewart, J.L. Stewart, and W.P. Woodring, 1973. REPOSITORY: USNM.
Primary reference: W. P. Woodring. 1982. Geology and paleontology of canal zone and adjoing parts of Panama: Description of Tertiary mollusks (Pelecypods: Propeamussiidae to Cuspidariidae). United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 306(F) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy] more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 93150: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 05.01.2010
Creative Commons license: CC BY-NC-ND (attribution-noncommercial-no derivatives)